Steve has been practicing law in Glenwood Springs and providing services to clients since the firm was formed in 1982. His practice emphasizes business, real estate, transactions and negotiations, contracts, construction law, litigation, administrative law and natural gas law. He has broad experience in complex commercial and real estate matters, and approaches all of his work with meticulous attention to detail.
Steve grew up in Glenwood Springs. He earned a B.A. in History from Tufts University in 1968, where he played varsity sports and was active in college organizations. He graduated from the University of Colorado School of Law in 1973 after serving for two years in the United States Army at Ft. Huachuca, Arizona and in Vietnam. After law school Steve and his wife lived in Tucson, Arizona, where he practiced law with the legal staff of Tucson Gas & Electric Company/Tucson Electric Power Company (where he was the primary attorney for the sale of the gas department to another utility company and associated regulatory approvals) and with a private law firm. In 1982, he returned to Glenwood Springs and joined boyhood friend Jim Larson to form the firm of Larson & Beattie. A number of his clients have been with the firm since its formation in 1982.
Steve has been active in various community organizations including Mountain Madrigal Singers and Garfield County Senior Housing, still roots for his old teams at Glenwood Springs High School, is an accomplished golfer, and enjoys a variety of outdoor activities in Western Colorado and the region.
- University of Colorado, College of Law, 1973, J.D.
- Tufts University, 1968, B.A., History
- Colorado, 1973
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado, 1973
- Arizona, 1974
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona, 1974
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Colorado Bar Association
- Ninth Judicial District Bar Association
- Beattie, Houpt & Jarvis, LLP, Partner, 2018-Present
- Beattie, Chadwick & Houpt LLP, Partner, 2007-2018
- Beattie & Chadwick, Partner, 1990-2007
- Larson, Beattie & Chadwick, Partner, 1989-1990
- Larson & Beattie, Partner, 1982-1989
- Waterfall, Economidis, Caldwell & Hanshaw, Tucson, Arizona, 1979-1982
- Tucson Gas & Electric Company/Tucson Electric Power Company, 1973-1979